I knew we would work in the yard again today after returning from church. My body told the story of yesterday's physical efforts and accomplishments before my feet hit the floor this morning at 7 AM. I am not as young as I used to be and the telltale signs of the activity that I participated in yesterday were
front back and center.....the center of my lower back, that is.
I popped some motrin and started loosening up for the day. I was a bit stiff but the many trips up and down the stairs during Sunday School helped. When I got home from church, both MusicMan and I needed a nap, LOL. It was 2:30 this afternoon before we made our way to the east end of our home and got to work.
I don't have any before pictures of the areas that we worked on today - just after pictures. I can tell you; however, that these areas looked neglected and downright unsightly. I've been procrastinating on this area because I couldn't really decide what to do and there was a lot of poison ivy growing in that bed. I am deathly allergic to poison ivy. MusicMan and I made a plan on what he would do to get the ivy vines out of the area and I set about to plant over 100 bulbs along the brick edging on the front corner of the house. That is the only place that will get enough light for the bulbs to thrive.
We split up the Lenten Rose, moved 3 Azaleas that were buried below some old hedge, and put down some more hostas in front of the Lenten Rose. We also moved a yellow shrub plant that was a huge sucker plant growing right up against the front of the house....we just dug it up, cleaned out the root system and moved it about 24 inches forward to the front of the bed. Now it will be able to grow.
Here's some pics:
The 3 plants to the immediate left of the shutters that are about 1 foot tall are the clumps of Lenten Rose. Within a year, they will multiply, fill in, and be a solid mass. They stay green year round and in late January and February will produce a beautiful butter yellow bloom about the size of a saucer. We didn't make it past the window. That clump below the window is the remaining Lenten Rose that we will work on tomorrow.
Here's where we moved the 3 Azaleas to - we discovered them under the shrub that used to be here:
Look how nasty that brick is....and no! I'm not going to go rent the pressure washer for another half day and wash this side of the house :) My goal in this blank spot is to mirror the other side of the garage window and divide that remaining clump of Lenten Rose into 3 plants. I've got 3 more hostas that can go on the right of the window. I'm contemplating putting my hydrangea right below the window. It would love the morning sun...which is what this end of the house gets.
Here's the view from the front yard. The Lenten Rose and hostas are behind those taller azaleas on around the corner.
I started at the top part of the picture and dug a 6 inch wide trench right up against the inside of the brick edging. I set over 100 bulbs along the front edge. There's probably 7 or 8 linear feet of bulbs. In the early spring, when the daffodils and paper whites peek out of the frosty ground - that entire edging will be one mass of blooms (hopefully). The dirt inside the bed is the absolute best dirt on our property. It's a small investment for what I hope to be a huge payoff in several months. The dirt outside the bed is horrible and we can't even get Bermuda grass to grow there. This small area is the view outside of my office window and to the left of where I'm standing is a huge bird feeder and a birdbath.
I included this to show you where I had Little Sister plant over 90 bulbs. I dug back the earth, dumped about 100 bulbs out on the ground and told her to plant them. The actual planting area is larger than the area that has been watered. I explained and demonstrated how to place the root part (which she called the hairy part) pointing downward and the neck part pointing upward. When she had them placed - and I wanted her to do it because I knew there would be no pattern to it and they would naturalize better that way - I covered them up and I let her water them in. I want her to experience the thrill of seeing 'her bulbs' come up in the spring. Big Brother wanted nothing to do with planting and that's ok. Little Sister loved it and despite her not having a nap this afternoon while I did, she was pretty good help most of the time.
I have some business tomorrow before lunch and I hope to return to this end of the house with MusicMan and finish what we started today. I'm thinking of moving the trampoline and finishing out that area so that bed we did on Saturday will not end up against the trampoline. How much time I have and how well my body feels will be the biggest determining factor of what we accomplish tomorrow.
I'm loving how this is coming together.....one area at a time.
PS. There's a frost advisory tonight so I don't expect my hostas to be visible for many more days.